Floor Part 2 – Plywood & Vinyl

I managed to get a bit more done to the van over the last couple of days including fitting the plywood and vinyl to the floor.

In my last post I showed how I insulated the floor, now it was time to cover the insulation with plywood.

To do this I used 9mm ply. I fitted it in six parts, three width ways across the front of the van and three length ways at the back.

IMG_1343

I fitted it this way so it sits on the main battens below and also it worked out the easiest way to cut out of three sheets of ply.

It is fixed down with screws into the battens to make sure it was completely flush on all joints and Stixall along every batten underneath, along with more Stixall criss-crossed over the insulation. I glued to the insulation board to help stop future squeaks.

Once the ply was fitted I fitted the vinyl flooring.

I used TARKETT Contract Stella Light Grey Heavy Duty Vinyl Flooring which I bought from Ebay. It’s a heavy duty vinyl and comes in several colour choices.

The first job was to seal the plywood. To do this I used a paint roller to apply a thin layer of PVA sealant. Once this was dry I laid the vinyl out and cut it to shape. Once I was happy with the fit I folded half the vinyl back and applied a layer of TRIM FIX high temperature spray adhesive to the ply and the vinyl.

Once this had dried (about 5 minutes) and using a vinyl roller, I fixed the vinyl down starting from the centre of the van. Once it was down I then folded the other half of the floor back and did the same.

IMG_1346

All that remains to do now is cut the vinyl where my water pipes go under the floor and fit some aluminium edging across the two door ways. I’ll update this post once the aluminium is fitted.

IMG_1347

Insulating The Floor

This is how I insulated the floor.

For those of you that haven’t seen the pictures of the inside of my van when I bought it, this is what it looked like

IMG_0832

It was a mess. It had dried on cement, paint, holes, you name it it was there. After all of the rotted ply was out and I’d got everything that I could off the floor the first job was to fill all the small screw holes.

After the floor was water tight again I spent quite a few hours with a wire brush cleaning any loose paint away, then used Red-Oxide paint to seal all areas where the paint was damaged.

The next job was to fit 25mm battens where needed

IMG_1318

I started from the bulk head, laying strips of 25 x 50mm batten at roughly 600mm intervals. This was because I’m using 25mm Kingspan type insulation everywhere I can in the van and it’s 1200mm wide so cut in half 600mm.

I continued this across the floor to the back of the van and added cross members where needed but never more than 600mm apart. I decided to add them, where possible, in the places I knew furniture would be so I have more to screw down into. These were glued into place using Stixall from Toolstation.

Once the glue was dry it was time to add the insulation, just a case of cutting the right sizes out and again sticking in place with a little Stixall. To finish it off I added spray foam insulation to any gaps.

IMG_1322

In the middle of the above picture you can see an area where two battens are close together. My water tank is on one side of the van and my sink will be on the other. I needed a way of getting the water pipes from one side to the other so decided to run them through the floor. I was worried about any future leaks and not being able change the pipe so I decided to run two 25mm conduit pipes through the floor that I can then thread the water pipes through. These can easily be accessed from under the seat bases.

IMG_1325

The next job was to trim the expanding foam flush with the rest of the floor. This is an easy job with a bread knife.

IMG_1331

And then finally I added aluminium tape over all of the joints and battens. This was to give a vapour barrier.

IMG_1333

IMG_1336

IMG_1338

That’s the floor insulated and this is also the method I’ve used for most of the walls and ceiling.

Next job is to fit the plywood on top.